Car insurance is needed for registering and driving your car. The type of coverage you choose, the type of car, the condition of the car, and your driving history and age can all be factors that go into determining just how much you are going to pay. Each insurance carrier can use different criteria when calculating the premium to insure a driver. With a bit of planning and by following these steps, you can find the cheapest auto insurance rates for yourself and your family.
- Make some phone calls to local insurance agents or visit the website of some insurance companies. You can usually obtain an insurance quote in as little as 10 minutes. Answer all questions honestly and with as much information as you can provide. You can do this for several companies to get quotes to compare.
- Using the company websites, you can collect information about the premiums that different carriers charge for the same types of services and coverage. This can help you to weed out companies that are consistently priced higher than their competitors.
- If you are shopping for a new car, remember that safety features such as airbags and automatic seat belts can save you on your insurance cost. Anti-theft devices will also help your wallet. It is worthwhile to take the time and research things like the most commonly stolen or broken into vehicles as these are going to carry a higher premium.
- When communicating with the insurance company or agent, be sure to give them the least distance or time it takes to reach your job. The faster commute you have to work each day, the lower your policy is going to cost you.
- Many insurance companies will provide a discount if you are affiliated with their member directory. Be sure to inquire about this with your agent
- If you are given the option, select a yearly policy versus a six-month policy. The yearly policy will give you a lower premium.
- Keep your nose clean. A criminal record or DWI is a guaranteed way to pay a substantially higher premium.
- The best rates are reserved for those with the best credit history. Monitor your credit report and keep it as favorable as possible.
Following these 8 tips will assist you in acquiring the most affordable car insurance premiums possible which can save you a lot of money in the long run.